On Thanksgiving, we take the time to give thanks to the people in our lives, our health, the food on our table, and to many more of life’s blessings. With so many things to be thankful for, giving back during such a meaningful time of the year can actually be therapeutic. Reflecting on all that we are thankful for can really help to put things into perspective and hopefully, challenge us to focus on all that is really important in life.
Make It A Thanksgiving Tradition To Uplift Others
Thanksgiving is so much more than the food on our plate, parades, and football games—it’s about the people in our lives and giving back to our communities! It’s a time to be thankful for what we have and also be thankful that we have the ability to give back to others. There are plenty of ways to give back and listed below are just a few ways we can make a difference:
- Make a cash donation: Check out Give MN – just search and browse for a cause. Give to the Max Day is November 16, 2017. It’s a special 24-hour period Minnesotans give to the organizations that mean the most to them. And as a bonus, Give MN offers thousands of dollars in prizes to help donors make their dollars go farther.
- Volunteer or donate to local shelters: For Mankato’s homeless shelters, the Teresa House and the Welcome Inn, check out Partners For Affordable Housing. Or, to see how you can help in other areas, go to the Homeless Shelter Directory.
- Find Time for Four-Legged Friends: Give animals a second chance at life…foster or adopt a pet from an animal shelter. To see how you can make a difference in our community go to Benchs or Mending Spirits.
- Invite Someone Over: If you know someone will be spending the holiday alone, invite them along to celebrate with you and your loved ones.
- Visit a Hospital: Call your local hospital to find out if it will accept volunteers during the holiday season. Offer to distribute food, bring small gifts to children or elderly, or simply sit and visit with someone.
- Adopt A Family: Adopt A Family Angels help connect individuals, families and businesses with families in need during the holiday season and throughout. Locally, you can help families through the Holiday Sharing Tree.
- Random Acts of Kindness: Any act of kindness no matter how big or small can make a difference–especially when done intentionally. Start today and make someone’s day better.
We hope that you have a wonderful holiday season and truly delight in the beauty and gift of thankfulness!